Services | AUDITING SERVICES
ON SITE LEGAL REVIEWS
Legal Cost Control’s expert legal fee auditors can perform an exhaustive on-site review. Legal audit services are available to clients & their outside counsel upon request.
The Legal Cost Control team carries out a careful comparison of all file contents against submitted legal bills, conducting a legal bill analysis capable of identifying problematic billing practices, comparing legal invoices against outside counsel billing guidelines, customary and reasonable billing standards, ABA Standing Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility Formal Opinion on Billing for Professional Fees, Disbursements and Other Expenses and relevant case law.
The Legal Cost Control law firm audit determines reasonableness of attorney fees, verifies that each legal bill’s product is in the corresponding file, and verifies documented costs and expenses. These are some of the issues detected by a Legal Cost Control legal on-site review:
- Overbilling (Billing for time in excess of what was actually spent)
- Duplicate time charges
- Over-staffing – proper utilization of personnel (e.g., unauthorized multiple attendance; multiple drafting and revision of documents; billing for supervision; multiple attorneys billing for document preparation; excessive file reviews; attorneys billing for performing paralegal functions at attorney rates)
- Recycled work product – billing more than one case or client for the same hours spent
- Inefficient procedures (e.g., cryptic invoice descriptions; excessive minimum time charges; bundling of described functions)
- Excessive motion practice
- Rounding of time charges
- Charging for overhead (e.g., heat, ventilation and air condition, routine postage, local travel, office supplies, etc.)
- Mark-up on costs such as Lexis/Westlaw, expert witnesses, etc